About Me

My photo
Alaska, United States
I am owned by Pauline and Mark Blasky. My hull was built at the Duncan Marine Yard in Taiwan and launched in Dec of 1980. It is a William Garden design based on the Pixie Design and called by Duncan Marine a Freedom 45. They are the fourth owners and have owned me the longest. They have done extensive refitting to me including replacing my entire deck structure and rig. My masts are roughly 10% taller than original and now are made of aluminium as opposed to the original wood ones, which, though pretty, were always problematic. You can read more about me under "MORE ABOUT SARI TIMUR"

May 10, 2014

Recycling!

The two boats rafted together
After the barge came in another boat came in and they needed to raft up to us.  As the wind was pushing us both on the wall we felt our fenders might not be up to the task.  In Japan everyone has these large styrofoam fenders.  We asked one of the fisherman if we could buy them here.  He said Nagasaki.  Whoops that wasn't going to do us much good.  Anyway we started hunting around and the fisherman came to us and asked through a translator how many we wanted.  I said one or two he said get in his van and we would go search the beaches for some washed ashore.  A bit dubious but at the second beach we found lots of pieces that we could use to make up two fenders.  We then used an old banner we had carried with us from the GTA regatta we acted as committee boat and we made up two fenders.

Tying The Foam Pieces Together


Putting On the Covers


No comments:

Post a Comment