About Me

My photo
Alaska, United States
I am owned by Pauline and Mark Blasky. My hull was built at the Duncan Marine Yard in Taiwan and launched in Dec of 1980. It is a William Garden design based on the Pixie Design and called by Duncan Marine a Freedom 45. They are the fourth owners and have owned me the longest. They have done extensive refitting to me including replacing my entire deck structure and rig. My masts are roughly 10% taller than original and now are made of aluminium as opposed to the original wood ones, which, though pretty, were always problematic. You can read more about me under "MORE ABOUT SARI TIMUR"

May 18, 2014

Finally Moving Again

Current Position 31 d 07.50 N  130 d 06.40 E  Well we finally left Yaku Shima.  We probably would have stayed longer but our house batteries are now just about completely dead.   I really didn't think that lead acid batteries would die so quickly but they have.  Anyway we are taking advantage of a break in the weather and are trying to go the whole way to Nagasaki in one leg.  We need to keep the motor running most of the time to power everything anyway so we decided let's just head for it.  The weather break is a pretty good high which means cold temps.  We are having a hard time believing this is mid May and we are at only 31 degrees North.  The temp at noon was only 19.6 degrees C or 67 degrees F.  Which might be comfortable ashore but out on the water!!!  Pauline keeps saying what happened to bikini cruising!!!


Anyway I am sure summer will arrive soon enough and we will miss these cool temps.  Keep your fingers crossed that we find a north bound current.  I don't know of any close by, but if we do it means only one night at sea if not the second night will be mostly in circles.  Also while you are crossing those fingers hope that we have good luck in Nagasaki with batteries.  We are going to have to buy them there anyway we just hope we can get the size we want.  Which is a little less common.  If not we will have to go for the more common one which is two big ones instead of six smaller ones and only 2/3rds the power.  But right now we can not be choosey.

No comments:

Post a Comment