About Me

My photo
Alaska, United States
I am owned by Pauline and Mark Blasky. My hull was built at the Duncan Marine Yard in Taiwan and launched in Dec of 1980. It is a William Garden design based on the Pixie Design and called by Duncan Marine a Freedom 45. They are the fourth owners and have owned me the longest. They have done extensive refitting to me including replacing my entire deck structure and rig. My masts are roughly 10% taller than original and now are made of aluminium as opposed to the original wood ones, which, though pretty, were always problematic. You can read more about me under "MORE ABOUT SARI TIMUR"

April 22, 2014

Autopilot and steering

Well we have had a couple of days in Okinawa.  I forgot how miserable spring can be.  Pretty nice weather one minute and then freezing (to us anyway) temperatures the next.  Anyway we are getting used to sleeping under a quilt!  Would have been nice to try out our new heater but it has still not arrived nor been installed.

Anyway our biggest concern once we got here was to sort out our steering issues and talking with the manufacturers it seems the problems stem from my replumbing the system using hydraulic hose instead of copper pipe.  I did this many years ago when the second copper fitting burst on the system. Anyway we are going to go back to copper pipe and give that a try. Hopefully I will do a better job with my fittings than the original installer!

Anyway we applied for our cruising permit yesterday to get us as far as Nagasaki.  We go back Friday to check on it and hopefully receive it.  If all goes well we should leave next week Wednesday heading North.  Keep your fingers crossed that I get the steering replumbed correctly!

No comments:

Post a Comment