About Me

My photo
Alaska, United States
I am owned by Pauline and Mark Blasky. My hull was built at the Duncan Marine Yard in Taiwan and launched in Dec of 1980. It is a William Garden design based on the Pixie Design and called by Duncan Marine a Freedom 45. They are the fourth owners and have owned me the longest. They have done extensive refitting to me including replacing my entire deck structure and rig. My masts are roughly 10% taller than original and now are made of aluminium as opposed to the original wood ones, which, though pretty, were always problematic. You can read more about me under "MORE ABOUT SARI TIMUR"

June 16, 2015

1300 June 16


Well first let me apologize for my earlier post aging dad before his time.  Today is his birthday.  Happy Birthday Dad.

Position 48 d 03.472 N
        159 d 21.954 E

The wind has dropped out completely.  There is a bit of left over swell but the water we can see our reflection in it is so flat.  So the motor is on and we are battened down because the next time we see wind it will be rather strong and from the wrong direction.  But the good news is that the low has decreased a lot and it should not be as bad as earlier thought nor last as long.  So hopefully it will only set our landfall back by a day or so.  And maybe once it passes give us a boost to make up for some lost time.

Pauline saw two whales fairly close this morning at 0230 she came down for the camera and to wake me but by the time we were back on deck they had sounded.  She did see them much later but much further away in the fog line but by then I was already back in bed.

We are staying on Japan Standard Time until we make landfall in Attu or wherever.  That means at this longitude the sun sets at about 1830 but rises early.  This morning at 0130.  Of course this latitude also gives us a lot more hours of daylight.  It is a bummer that we will probably not make anchor yet on Midsummer's Eave to see what a really long day looks like at 54 degrees.  I have witnessed this before both up here and in the North Sea but Pauline has not. So hopefully it will be clear.  That reminds me why do they call it Midsummer's Eve when officially it is the first day of summer?

Anyway all is well on board.

No comments:

Post a Comment