About Me

My photo
Alaska, United States
I am owned by Pauline and Mark Blasky. My hull was built at the Duncan Marine Yard in Taiwan and launched in Dec of 1980. It is a William Garden design based on the Pixie Design and called by Duncan Marine a Freedom 45. They are the fourth owners and have owned me the longest. They have done extensive refitting to me including replacing my entire deck structure and rig. My masts are roughly 10% taller than original and now are made of aluminium as opposed to the original wood ones, which, though pretty, were always problematic. You can read more about me under "MORE ABOUT SARI TIMUR"

October 12, 2014

Vongfong

Well the typhoon is just about to make landfall in Kyushu and that should really make it degrade.  We had 45 knots at about 05:30 am.  It is showing in the low 20's now but it is really low tide and I think the instruments are a bit protected.  The trees on shore look like they are getting a bit more.  The winds are supposed to decrease steadily to a max of around 60 knots when it hits us in about 6 hours. We are doing fine and will try to keep you posted.

17:00 the eye just passed us a little to the south.  Kind of eerie when the wind dropped off.  Our barometer bottomed out at 978.5.  JMA said as it passed the eye was at 975 so I guess it was close.  The max winds we saw were under 50 and that was just gusts.  The recorder which shows sustained topped out at 45.  The barometer is rising quickly now but we will get the backside of the storm for a few more hours.

The next morning.  Well the storm is gone.  Some residual wind and waves around but clear skies and a good forecast.  We should begin untying the spider webs we made to hold the boats today and head out tomorrow making stops along the way enroute to Osaka.  There is a blip on the long range forecasts.  Let's hope it is not typhoon 20!

Sari Timur tucked into Nio Marina two days before the storm

2 comments:

  1. Mark;

    I love reading what you are doing, I look almost every day.

    John O Sobol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey John glad to know you guys are reading and can stay interested in us whistlers!

    ReplyDelete