About Me

My photo
Alaska, United States
I am owned by Pauline and Mark Blasky. My hull was built at the Duncan Marine Yard in Taiwan and launched in Dec of 1980. It is a William Garden design based on the Pixie Design and called by Duncan Marine a Freedom 45. They are the fourth owners and have owned me the longest. They have done extensive refitting to me including replacing my entire deck structure and rig. My masts are roughly 10% taller than original and now are made of aluminium as opposed to the original wood ones, which, though pretty, were always problematic. You can read more about me under "MORE ABOUT SARI TIMUR"

October 21, 2014

Breaking In the Stove

It is cool enough now to fire up our stove..  There is a break-in period where we have to build five fires starting small and each one slightly bigger and longer with a good cooling off period in between.  We felt we better get at this process so the stove is ready when Bill and Martha come to visit on the first of November.  The first two burns went flawlessly but the third one went horribly wrong.  Apparently the wind conditions and hatches being opened created too much negative cabin pressure and we smoked out the cabin.  Sure don't want to do that again.  Andrew over at Navigator Stove Works suggested we check with an incense stick smoke flow before lighting in similar conditions.  Guess I better head to one of the local temples and get some!

Anyway here are some pictures of it running well.

The fire going good

The chimney

2 comments:

  1. Mark;

    That is some pretty crazy stuff a wood stove on a wood boat. I guess you will only run out of wood once the hull is gone:-)
    Glad to see you has a safe sailing trip and enjoying the sights. One day Lauri and I would like to see that area so don't come back state side until we get out there and get a guided tour.
    Good luck and keep the smoke down.
    J O Sobol

    ReplyDelete
  2. We actually have a fiberglass hull. Just made to look like wood. But there is plenty of wood on it if we get too cold let's hope that doesn't happen!

    ReplyDelete