About Me

My photo
Alaska, United States
I am owned by Pauline and Mark Blasky. My hull was built at the Duncan Marine Yard in Taiwan and launched in Dec of 1980. It is a William Garden design based on the Pixie Design and called by Duncan Marine a Freedom 45. They are the fourth owners and have owned me the longest. They have done extensive refitting to me including replacing my entire deck structure and rig. My masts are roughly 10% taller than original and now are made of aluminium as opposed to the original wood ones, which, though pretty, were always problematic. You can read more about me under "MORE ABOUT SARI TIMUR"

December 24, 2015

Crossing the Gulf Stream


Position 37 d 04.62N

         071d 25.65W

Time 0900 24 Dec

 

Happy Christmas Eve, well hopefully you guys are.  We are still bashing East with a very strong wind from the south (the direction we want to head).  We sailed the whole way across the stream.  Or at least we think we are pretty much across.  We are still picking up some residual current but not with as much strength as before.  We think this current could be partially due to the south wind.  So the idea is to get as much easting as possible before tacking and hoping to pick up a wind from another direction at the same time.  Actually the traditional way to do this route is to head almost to Bermuda and then pick up the trades and head straight into the BVI.  Hopefully we do not have to go that far but at present it looks to be the case.

No comments:

Post a Comment