About Me

My photo
I am owned by Pauline and Mark Blasky. My hull was built at the Duncan Marine Yard in Taiwan and launched in Dec of 1980. It is a William Garden design based on the Pixie Design and called by Duncan Marine a Freedom 45. They are the fourth owners and have owned me the longest. They have done extensive refitting to me including replacing my entire deck structure and rig. My masts are roughly 10% taller than original and now are made of aluminium as opposed to the original wood ones, which, though pretty, were always problematic. You can read more about me under "MORE ABOUT SARI TIMUR"

December 23, 2015

At Sea

Position 36 d 30.80 N
        74 d 06.78 W

Time 11:30 EST 23 December

Well a few dramas so far to report.  Part of it is trying to make a schedule at this time of the year and part of it is dealing with an unknown boat.

The first drama is as we were leaving the Chesapeake, in the narrows around Cape Henry, we got the call from the Virginia Pilots alerting us a large vessel was coming up behind us.  We agreed to stay south of the channel and work our way behind him once he passed.  It turned out it was a large navy hover craft carrier and he got up behind us and stopped.  This meant we had to keep rounding the cape in the shallows and wait for him to get moving again.  Normally no issue but just as this was happening a line squall came through.  The Coast Guard said it was packing 45 knots.  We don't have wind instruments but it felt every bit of 45. Anyway the storm abated, the ship left and we continued on our way through somewhat lumpy seas trying to clear the affects of Cape Hatteras and the Gulf Stream while a south wind was still blowing.

The winds were rather iffy after the storm so we were switching between sailing and engines when we could sail we are but when it is too light we turn on the engine.

At nine o'clock last night the wind lightened too much and the autopilot couldn't cope.  As we turned on the engine and tried to steer back on course we noticed the steering system wasn't working either.  Anyway once there was some speed on with the engine going the autopilot could cope again so we continued on our way trying to figure out what was wrong with the steering wheel.  It was a bit baffling so we called the agent and sent him and the owner an email.  As it was now after 9:30 PM the agent was not answering his phone or email.  We did leave a voice message and let him know would call this morning.

Once we got him he suggested that we had hydraulic steering as well and the wheel being so high up would not work if we were lose on fluid and worse the autopilot would soon drain as well.  A bit of panic set in as we scoped the system out a bit more.  We confirmed that it was unlikely we had a hydraulic steering system as there was only one line running in that could be hydraulic.  And it didn't look connected to the autopilot in any way.  We described the unit to him and he was able to confirm that it was a cable drive system.

So we are still heading south well actually more east until we cross the stream and keeping our fingers crossed that the autopilot stays working.

It is nice to know that new boats also have problems.


  1. Have a good trip and I hope no further proplems arise with the boat
    Merry Christmas.

  2. Have a good trip and I hope no further proplems arise with the boat
    Merry Christmas.