About Me

My photo
Alaska, United States
I am owned by Pauline and Mark Blasky. My hull was built at the Duncan Marine Yard in Taiwan and launched in Dec of 1980. It is a William Garden design based on the Pixie Design and called by Duncan Marine a Freedom 45. They are the fourth owners and have owned me the longest. They have done extensive refitting to me including replacing my entire deck structure and rig. My masts are roughly 10% taller than original and now are made of aluminium as opposed to the original wood ones, which, though pretty, were always problematic. You can read more about me under "MORE ABOUT SARI TIMUR"

January 21, 2017

Big Snow

Yesterday brought our first big snow.  They were forecasting 13 inches but I think we beat that.  We had to go retrieve a barge yesterday afternoon that broke one of her moorings in those big winds a few days ago.  So before we went out we had to shovel off Chahunta.

When Pauline got home at 3 she was shoveling Sari Timur and our dock.  The guys from Major Marine saw her and came over with their snow blower and did our dock.

I got off at 5:30 and found about a foot of snow covering the car.  After clearing it off I realised I was stuck.  But a little rocking in forward and reverse and our special tires got me out without needing the chains.

I got home at six and there was easily a foot of snow on Sari Timur and probably 6 inches on the dock.  The snow accumulates quickly on Sari Timur, or most boats, because of the shape of the superstructure and the gunnels.  This is why most of the non inhabited boats shrink wrap them for the winter so the snow cannot accumulate too much.  Anyway I shoveled her off again and got the dock as well.  We now have a big slush pile around Sari Timur but that is all it is and the first breeze will take it away.  However getting up this morning and looking out the window, there was more snow. Guess what, I get to shovel again before work!

Must admit though it is pretty and much better than that super cold front with all of its wind of a few days ago.  I will take the shoveling over that for sure.

The Photos don't show so well

The Boat Looking Aft

The Boat Looking Forward

   
The Dock Before Shoveling

Partly Shovelled

Another View






No comments:

Post a Comment