About Me

My photo
Alaska, United States
I am owned by Pauline and Mark Blasky. My hull was built at the Duncan Marine Yard in Taiwan and launched in Dec of 1980. It is a William Garden design based on the Pixie Design and called by Duncan Marine a Freedom 45. They are the fourth owners and have owned me the longest. They have done extensive refitting to me including replacing my entire deck structure and rig. My masts are roughly 10% taller than original and now are made of aluminium as opposed to the original wood ones, which, though pretty, were always problematic. You can read more about me under "MORE ABOUT SARI TIMUR"

August 13, 2015

Alaskan Peninsula

Position  N 54 d 50.105
         W 162 d 37.288
         15:30 12 August


We have not quite arrived yet but hope to be anchored tonight. The scenery is still stunning.  The conversation at change of watch this morning, Pauline says "quick come up and see this". Mark comes on deck to see two spectacular snow covered volcanoes one spewing a steam plume straight up.  Pauline says "I need sleep but I don't want to miss anything.  Wake me up if there is anything exciting."  Mark's reply "what constitutes exciting, you have already seen whales broaching, volcanoes, great views, orcas, Dhalls porpoises, sea lions, otters, eagles?"  Her reply "Bears!"  So hopefully tonight or tomorrow we will be anchored near bears.  But the conversation this morning does bring it home.  Everyday we travel in this part of the world, and when we are stopped somewhere we seem to be awed by our surroundings.  As simple as puffins bobbing by, to the views and wildlife.  We received a chain email from the boats in front of us.  And they are all saying the same thing, the further east they get the more there is to see.  Hard to believe but we do know that the cruise ships only go around the eastern side and they know their business so we will just keep preparing ourselves for more. Oh and the change of watch this morning we were still rounding Unimak Island, the last of the Aleutians.

No comments:

Post a Comment